Frequently asked questions

You can find the answers to the most frequently asked questions here. Couldn’t find your question? Send us an email using the contact form.


Find the answers to your questions about apartments, division and insurance here.

Selling an apartment – do I have to arrange anything?

If you’re selling your apartment, you don’t have to arrange anything with us. The civil-law notary will contact us, and we will settle the financial affairs with him.

Internal regulations

The internal regulations are an addition to the rules vested in the law or in the owners’ association’s deed of division. These regulations are comprised of rules relating to the use of certain areas including shared areas and private areas, to noise nuisance, to garden maintenance, meeting procedures, and to instructions to the managing board. In other words, the internal regulations contain rules that apply to all tenants of a housing property.

They should contribute to a qualitative and comfortable shared living area. Each residence has its ow internal regulations, which you will receive at the start of your tenancy. Have you lost your copy? Then you can find them in the portal. If you can’t find it, then you can request it again.

Owners’ association contribution

The owners’ association contribution must be paid monthly to the assocation. The contribution covers service costs (such as electricity and cleaning), exploitation costs (e.g. insurances and daily maintenance) and a reserve for major maintenance. If the association provides the heating supply in the residence, the contribution is usually increased with an advance on the expected costs. This is settled with the owners every year and is mainly based on the heat meter allocators that are fixed to the radiators.

Division plan

Generally, the separate apartment rights cannot be shown on the cadastral map due to the location of the apartments, since they do not neighbour each other, but tend to be on different storeys on top of each other. Therefore, it is compulsory to attach the so-called division plan to the notarial deed of division. The private sections are indicated with an index number. Prior to the execution of the deed of division, the cadastre will have allocated a complex number to the entire complex. The complex number and the index number together form the cadastral indicator of an apartment right. The private sections are indicated with a letter and a serial number. The shared areas, such as the staircase, have no separate indicator.

Property Division Regulations/ Model Regulations

The rights, duties and functioning of the owners’ association are specified in the Property Division Regulations. The Model Regulations of a specific year are often referred to in the deed of division. Additions and/or amendments may be made to certain provisions, according to the building’s features that determine which provisions need to be stated in the deed of division.

Deed of division

The deed of division is drawn up and recorded by a civil-law notary, laying the legal foundation for the owners’ association. The deed is recorded in both the public and non-public registers of the cadastre. All owners may examine the contents of the deed of division. In the deed of division, each owner’s share in the total costs is recorded in accordance with a distribution formula. Furthermore, the deed of division contains the owners’ association’s regulations (articles of association) and a division plan, in which is laid out which sections of the building are for shared use and which sections are private.


What in ley terms is called buying an apartment, from a legal perspective is referred to as ‘buying apartment rights’. When a building is legally divided into apartments, the share of property involved in the division, the exclusive right to use a private section and the compulsory membership of an owners’ association together are called ‘apartment right’. In everyday speech, the term ‘apartment’ refers to a separate residence in a larger building.

Apartment right

An apartment right is a co-ownership of a complex or piece of land with the exclusive right to use a particular separate section (the private section).

Owners’ Association

In this category you can find the answers to your questions about committees, the board and owners’ association contributions.


The law requires the appointment of one or more board members. This board carries out the decisions made during the owners’ association’s meeting. Furthermore, they are charged with the day-to-day affairs. The board consists of at least a chairman and preferably also a vice-chairman. In relation to the meeting, the board has its own rights and duties and is authorised to determine the association’s day-to-day policy. In principle, the board presides over a meeting and determines its agenda. However, a contrary stipulation to this may be included in the articles of association.

Owners’ association contribution

In order to finance the owners’ association’s expenditures, the owners pay a monthly advance sum. This sum is called the owners’ association’s contribution.


The number of votes that is necessary to adopt resolutions during the members’ meeting.


A general members’ meeting must be convened at least once a year, the so-called owners’ meeting. During this meeting, all apartment owners have the right to vote on all resolutions. Agenda items for this meeting may include:

  • The adoption of advance payments
  • The maintenance plans
  • The colour combination of blinds

If the resolutions are legally adopted by the owners’ association’s meeting, then they are binding on all owners. You are advised to attend the annual owners’ association meeting, or, if you can’t be present, to authorise someone who can vote in your stead. If there are too few owners present to adopt a resolution legally, then the meeting will convene a second meeting. During this meeting a minority may adopt a resolution that can be binding on the majority.

Technical committee

A delegation of owners who, together with the supervisor, must see to it that maintenance work is carried out as best as technically possible within the clearly set out specifications and for the best possible price. The committee members are selected by the meeting.

Audit committee

The financial administration of the owners’ association will be audited at least once a year by a delegation of the owners – the audit committee – the members of which are selected by the meeting.  In addition, Zeilstra Owners’Association Administration provides a customer portal where you can view the administration 24/7.


Find the frequently asked questions about mould, long-term maintenance and the refurbishment of your apartment here.

What is an LTMP

LTMP stands for Long-Term Maintenance Plan, used to make a schedule of the maintenance that needs to be carried out in a building. The costs will be paid from the owners’ contributions. With an LTMP you will know whether there are sufficient funds to carry out the maintenance.


You must ventilate your residence 24 hours a day! If your residence is fully insulated, then only ventilate it for a couple of hours every evening as well as for half an hour after showering. You must clean your ventilation grills every 3 to 6 months and leave the extraction fan on for one hour after cooking. Read in the document ‘Ventilation, Mould and Maintenance’ [only in Dutch] how this can save you money and how to prevent mould. You can also find it under ‘Documents’. This document also gives advice on how to keep the ventilation grills clean. This is important, because otherwise they won’t work, which can lead to mould.

Refurbishing your apartment

If the apartment owner wants to refurbish his apartment, he must take the relevant owners’ association’s regulations into account. He would therefore be well advised to study the relevant owners’ association’s regulations, before starting the refurbishment work. In addition to the owners’ association’s regulations, the apartment owner must meet the municipality’s local ‘refurbishment regulations’, e.g. planning permission etc.


Damp may cause mould. Many people think that problems of damp are caused by external factors. In practice, however, it seems that damp usually comes from inside the house.

This is because the most common cause of damp is humans and pets, or normal activities such as cooking, drying laundry, the dishwasher and the like. This can cause up to 10 – 15 litres of damp in your residence. The solution to most damp problems is ventilation. The residence must be ventilated every day and additionally when a lot of damp is released. The best possible way to ventilate is by opening windows across from one another wherever you can. Many people believe that having a window open for a couple of hours is sufficient. But you really have to ventilate all day long. Ventilation therefore entails more than airing spaces for half an hour. (See the document “Ventilation, mould and paintwork“ [only in Dutch]). Here are some tips on removing mould:

  • Dissolve 6 grams of soda in 1 litre of hot water. Rub the solution with a firm brush onto the mould or pour it onto the mould area. Always rinse it with water afterwards.
  • You can treat persistent mould with bleach. Use 25 ml of bleach to 1 litre of water. Use a sponge to dab this onto the mould and leave the spot to dry. If the mould has not disappeared after one day, then try it again.
  • You can also buy commercial mould remover from a shop.